November 17, 2008

Unhindered: Weddings

I've slacked off the last few weeks. First, I didn't write because I was so burnt out from the marathon last-minute campaigning, and then I didn't write last week because of a wedding I attended Saturday. I was a bridesmaid. With 3-inch high-heel, red, ruffley, peep-toe shoes with little bows across the toes. I didn't trip or stumble, but-ye gods!-the pain! Took me several days to recover from the 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. day.

I'm not a fan of large weddings. Haven't been for a long time: first because of theory, now because of experience.

Seriously, is a big, lavish wedding worth beginning your married life in debt? So many young couples spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (thank you credit cards) on weddings, and it takes years or decades to pay some of these things off.

Here's a press release on the topic: Bridal Spending Has Increased 100% Over Last 15 Years: 'American Wedding Study 2006' Reveals Average Wedding Now Tops $27,000

Here's an alternative I ran across yesterday: Our 10-11-08 Crafty Fall Wedding. The bride used a lot of money-saving DIY stuff by making decorations, and customizing dresses. (And the groom and groomsmen wore camo vests and ties, which is original but a little strange, I think.)

During the pre-wedding storm and after the event itself, Curtis and I (who have been together just a few months longer than our newly-married friends) have discussed what we want for our wedding, which will first be delayed until we are both steadily employed and have saved up enough money to get a decent place to live. First, the ceremony will be our close family and our handful of close-enough-to-be-considered-family friends. Second, the ceremony and/or reception will be somewhere relatively casual (read: inexpensive) and limited to a reasonable number of guests. Third: no high heels! I promise that if I have bridesmaids they won't have to shell out several hundred dollars of their own money for matching dresses.

Okay, that third item is something I haven't actually discussed with Curtis, but I don't think he'd mind. After all, I'll let him wear tie-dye under his tux jacket if he wants. (And I take back my comment about the strangeness of camouflage in the above wedding.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home