October 10, 2008

[Echoes]_10.10.2008_

I can’t believe I forgot to post up Echoes… Anyway my bad, here we go and TBF returns in two weeks.


[E]_September_2008_


Re: The Shadow Chronicles 10.06.2008.

Comment Submitted by Harlean Carpenter:

“So here I am typing with one hand and trying not to drop my sandwich with the other. Just so you know, by the time you read this, this article went through three levels of spell check because the typos and misspells were a plenty.”

It could be worse; you could be typing with the hand that's trying to not drop the sandwich, and fending off disgruntled armadillos with the other. I don't think even spell check could help you then...

<3


Response From Brian Rodriguez:

Armadillos I could handle… spilling my Meatball sub on the keyboard, Marie would never let me hear the end of it. I’ve decided to go with the lesser of two evils.

-------------------------------------------------------

Re: TBF: Close But No Cigar/ Prostitution

Comment Submitted by Marie:

Prostitution is purportedly "the oldest occupation." I'm not going to argue that; it's been around forever, and will probably continue to be around forever. So why can't it be legal? As George Carlin once said: "Fucking is legal. Selling is legal. So why isn't selling fucking legal?"

It is legal in less and more developed nations than the U.S. Out Puritanical society considers the act of casual sex to be a sin. (But let me point out the tendency for the most conservative Christian men to have unconventional casual sex; hypocrisy, much?)

Point is, it's being done despite laws. Wouldn't it be better if it was legal and regulated? Some sort of Whores' Guild to which women can apply for membership, pay dues, and receive health care and protection from abusers. Sure, some pimps and brothels might slip through the cracks, but if the vocation was legalized, there might be fewer sex slaves smuggled into the country and less drug use.

With proper oversight, American males could get their pie (and eat it, too) with less risk of STDs. Women could keep a higher percentage of their earnings and wouldn't have pimps getting them addicted to drugs, and would have more respectability, fewer health issues, and more rights.

I fail to see how that is not a win-win for everybody. Well, except for the hard-core Christian dogmatists who keep pushing their religious beliefs on the political and judicial systems. But we're tired of them anyway.

Response From Brian Rodriguez:

It sounds good and it sounds easy so ultimately... It will never happen.

-----------------------------------------------------

Re: TBF: Obesity

Comment Submitted by Harlean Carpenter:

"The future was yesterday, darling, where have you been? Now we're in the Ultramegaplus Future. With cheese. It's good to have you back, and better to see you haven't lost your edge.

Adding insult to the obesity injury is the fact that while obesity is at an all time high, so are anorexia and bulimia. Actually, no, I guess that's just more injury.

Here's something you might get a very small and rather sad laugh out of. Once while at an amusement park (I think it was Disneyland but I'm not certain, this was a few years ago) I jumped onto one of those combination scale/BMI-measuring gizmos just for the hell of it. Brian, you know me but for those of you who don't know me, I'll tell you that I'm 5' 3" and usually weigh between 130 and 135 pounds. It fluctuates and I don't worry much about is as long as I feel well. So, onto this contraption I step during one of my closer to 135 phases. It took a moment to ponder my weight in conjunction with the height I had punched in, then proceeded to tell me that I was overweight, bordering on obese and should consult my doctor about a weight loss plan immediately.

5' 3", 135 pounds = borderline obese. But school lunches consisting of grease, starch and sugar, consumed by kids who spend the majority of their time indoors playing with computers, and models with legs no thicker than my arms setting the standard for beauty = the norm. No wonder we're so screwed up."


Response From Brian Rodriguez:

First off: AMEN!
Second: 130 lbs?… I may have to rethink this relationship ;)
Third: Actually, that’s not so bad... One time I got on one of those scales as well and a digital image of both John Belushi and John Candy appeared and started waving at me… That was the sign that I needed to start working out.

-----------------------------------------------------

Comment Submitted by Angel:

I have to say that I agree with you when you say that it starts with the parents...It starts with the freaking parents. What parent does not want the best for their kids? I too have notice the damaged done to my 7-year-old daughter by my husband giving in to her constant "I want McDonalds" or "can I have a cookie" and he gives in to her wants. So I have begun to make changes in my life to show her that eating healthy is better way of life. But by doing that...I had to change what I ate too. So now I have been not eating dinner, when I do I eat fruit and water instead of soda. And she is starting to eat more healthy things for dinner. The good thing with my kids is that they love water, and they have never drunk soda. They love salads, they love fruits they love veggies, its just that if we don’t have it at home how can they eat that. So yes, I have stared to show by example, and I am enforcing exercise, and a healthy eating habit, I got to admit
these past two weeks have been somewhat hard, Because my husband does not change, but my health and my kids health is more important to me and if he does not want to change with us, then he is just going to have to be a part of my "was then" Because he is literally weighing me down. (Don’t get me wrong he is a great father, he just has a weakness for his little girls, and he does want them healthy but he just does not want to change "his" eating habits. Well keep up the good work Brian.


Response From Brian Rodriguez:

I do agree that it starts with the parents but Schools definitely lend a hand with their lack of healthy options. I also definitely agree that to best way to illustrate how eating right and being active is good for them is to do it yourself as well. It’s classic psychology: monkey see, monkey do.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Comment Submitted by Tessa:

WOW...great to have you back Brian
Touchy subject to start off with...I like your style!!!


Response From Brian Rodriguez:

It’s great to be back! Who doesn’t like my style? It’s simple, it’s straight to the point and most importantly… it kicks ass!! Instead of easing back into things, I figured that the best way to snap back is to go full throttle on their Asses.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home