January 17, 2008

TKO: 1/17/08

Money, money, money!

Why is it that when things seem to be going great financially in a relationship everything else seems to fall into place, but the second that money is tight, the relationships does a 180 turn and the fights and arguments begin. You begin to fight about everything, like which bills are more important than others, and of course the man always wants to pay the cable bill before anything else. God forbid they cut the cable, all hell will break loose. Women, we want the rent paid, and car note, and food, we are more sane especially when you have kids, because when you are single you guys can live in a studio, or with roommates and eat out and not care about major expenses, but when you have kids, cable my ass, (now I do love having that cable, especially the DVR, to record all my shows)

But it does not come first to grocery or PG&E, or the car note. Come on guys, what is wrong with you men. It is not going to kill you to miss football for a month or so till you get you sh*t back on track.

Personal experience, for instance when rent is paid, bills are current, food is on the table, and there is some spare change to go around, everything is good and gravy in my marriage. But on the other hand, when we get behind on bills, and rent etc, we cannot stand each other at times. Is it then true when they say “money is the root of all evil?” or should it perhaps be, the
absence of money is what causes people to turn into a lets say “evil-ish” way. I don’t know why but I got to admit that it is hard for me to be without money. If you ask my husband what is it that I need to be happy(besides my family and health), his answer will be “money”. I don’t know it just puts a smile on my face when I have some on my hands. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not a materialistic person. I just like to have something to show for all the hard work I put at my job, now come on, wouldn’t anyone agree that no one likes to live paycheck to paycheck.

I just like knowing that things are paid for, and that we can go out to a movie or dinner without checking at the prices or having to resort to McDonald’s and a blockbuster movie. (Not that there is anything wrong with that either) I just like to have my cake and eat it too.

I can say growing up was nothing but hard times, I was raised by a wonderful single mother or four, my mother installed in me great work values, and she taught me that even though she was single and made less than minimum wage. She still paid rent, and put food on the table and clothes on our back without resorting to the Government for help. So money was tight and I did not have designer clothes, we ate rice and beans.. a lot, and when/ if we were lucky, we would have some meat. That is why I take every effort into working hard, and doing everything I can to make sure that my kids will never be hungry, that we have a roof over our head, (even if it’s a bathroom at a train station {shout out to Will Smith for his fabulous performance in "Pursuit of Happiness"}) my mother worked her ass off for 20 years making 6 dollars an hour and all she has to show for it is an injury and disability.

Both me and my husband work hard to be able to buy our kids the designer clothes, to get the name brands at the grocery store (not have to eat the imitation brand just to save some pennies, you guys know that imitation or generic brand mostly tastes like @$#*) and also be able to take them out and spend time with them, (of course when we can, because we are not rich). But like I said before, just as money can make me happy, not having it can make me upset, because I don’t want to feel like a failure, I don’t want to feel that I could not provide for my kids, that we can't go out because rent is not paid, now we got to worry about how rent is going to get paid, you know what I mean. (that is the worst feeling in the world)

That is why I want to be able to have something, many things to show for my hard work and my husband's, there is no right or wrong in it, to me it's survival, and if you can enjoy life while doing so then there you are, you made it, you don’t have to have a million dollars to be happy, just enough to have fun and give your kids everything in life you did not have when you were growing up. I want to give my kids a better life, I want to prepare them for greatness, and I want to give them a little taste of success by spending a little extra on their clothes, taking them out, showing them and teaching them that if you work hard you can afford to do these kinds of things. Nothing in life is free, you have to earn every penny, and know how to turn that penny into a dollar, that is the only way in life, strive to be the best and never settle for nothing less than that.

Until next time,

Angel

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(a) Uh. Generalizing much? If I had only some amount of money, and I had to make a choice between rent, food, and car loans, or cable, it would be a no-brainer. So I guess I'm not a man by your definition. While we're on the topic, why do all women have to buy all shoes continuously? Get your shit together, ladies.

(b) No, it's not true when they say that "money is the root of all evil," because they're just making shit up. The quote is, "the love of money is the root of all evil," which is substantially different, you'll note.

(c) If you're sick of living like this, I recommend going out and voting for the right candidate in the next election. Say, one whose last name is "Edwards." I think you and he might agree on a lot of things.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home