January 14, 2008

Old News is all I've got

Yeah, we got work to do. That's why I'm sitting (in a chair *grumble*) and typing this on Curtis' strange ergonomic keyboard. And Curtis is torturing me by making me sit up straight and having both feet dangling instead of having one foot comfortably tucked up under my other thigh.

Seriously, I can't work like this.

And you know why I'm sitting upright in a swivel chair? My laptop's wireless card isn't working. I'm back in the computer technology equivalent of the bronze age. Because the only way my computer can connect to the NEt is with an Ethernet cable.

So, yeah, I haven't been online much. I've pretty much been doing less geeky things like watching movies and playing Tomb Raider Anniversary and Final Fantasy X-2 on the PlayStation. And playing a couple of those dinner party murder-mystery games with a bunch of people.

Between the laptop situation and the storms the last week or two, nothing has really been going on. Oh, wait---

**NEWSFLASH**

I just now got the hiccups. Stay tuned for more developments in this story.

Yep, that's how exciting life has been for me.

Now, normally I'd write this stuff in my normal blog, but I hadn't written anything for TBF. And since I don't have a really good excuse to get me out of writing something for this week, I'm stuck rambling on about inconsequential minutiae. I'm basically ignorant of the current news, so there's no heated controversy that I can opine about. So let's go on to old news that I haven't addressed in this or ICTH (my personal blog):

The Death of Benazir Bhutto
The assassination of Pakistan's former Prime Minister is a world tragedy. She was the only woman to make it that high in an Islamic government. She was dedicated to resolving Pakistan's inter-party conflicts and vocal against extremist violence. For a religion that has such an anti-woman tradition (though the fanaticism of Islam's patrimonial dogma varies between cultures and countries), Bhutto being elected Prime Minister at all (let alone twice) is pretty amazing.

The State Primaries
I don't care about these too much. I'm disillusioned with the whole national political system. I want the conservative, uber-Evangelical Republicans booted out of the White House. I'm not too excited about either Clinton or Obama, except for the fact that this is the first presidential election in which a woman and a non-WASP male (besides Kennedy, who was the only Catholic US prez) have made it so far. I would preferably vote for some independent or minor party candidate (not that I know who is running, because of this blasted false-dichotomy bipartisan system), but in this particular election a non-Demo/Repub vote is essentially throwing your vote away. If I want my vote to actually count, I'm forced to side with one of two evils. And voting for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil. But if voting for a Democrat is what it takes to curtail the irresponsible, Jesus-centric, "What the heck is diplomacy?" right-wing Repubs, then I'm voting Democrat, so it doesn't really matter to me who the candidate is. (Though I was particularly impressed with Mike Gravel (D-AK) when he was interviewed on the McLehrer News Hour. He actually had plans to withdraw from Iraq and wanted to change foreign policy to emphasize diplomacy. Plus, I just got a good vibe.)

The Latest Britney Meltdown
I dunno what happened. I don't care. I just get disgusted by the paparazzi who are interviewed on those entertainment "news" programs who familiarly refer to the celebrities they are stalking by their first names. Speaking of the lesser of two evils, is "K-Fed" really much more of an improvement in a sole parental figure than Britney?

The Writers' Strike
I like the writers. ("'Til Death" isn't all that great, but "Heroes"... hell, yeah!) I'm kinda happy about the strike; hopefully fewer families are sitting around staring at the TV at nights instead of interacting with their children. And I think it's great that the late night show guys are having to write more of their material again. Apparently, they used to be funny all on their own; so let's see if they've still got the talent. And the Comedy Central "news" programs have picked up again as well. Colbert's return was especially great.

Alright. That's all I've got. So now you know why the poll hasn't been changed and why I'm late posting Brian's Soundboards. (Maybe this will convince Brian to get a Blogger account and post things himself.) See ya'll in a couple weeks.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh. I wouldn't say the elections are a choice between two evils. If you look back historically, you'll see that the Dems and the GOP are really more different than they are the same, much as people would like to believe that "it's all the same." Yes, it would be nice if there were even more viable parties, but I would say "bullets are like cars" sooner than I'd say "Democrats are like Republicans." Yes, they're both made of metal, and they both can kill things, but they're aiming for different purposes.

Also, don't forget that you have a choice other than "the woman" and "the black guy" (see my abrasive post on this mentality anyway), although I'm leaning towards Obama myself at this point just so we don't get Hillary. In particular, there's also Edwards as well, who's as populist and electable as you get on the playing field. I liked Gravel too, but he's dropped now (although hardly anyone noticed).

And why don't you forget Blogger entirely? Wordpress gives you more features, more new, more choice, and more warm fuzzy mojo for the same price. Plus it can grab all your old Blogger data, so nothing's lost. Come on. You know you wanna.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home