October 19, 2007

Echoes of the Factor - 10/19/07

Comment Submitted By The Cerebral Cortex Re: Mariedom: Intro:

(Chorus of voices): "Hi Marie!"

First off, you're right. "Marie-dom" is a terrible name. Why not call it something like "Unhindered" instead? Or even "Action Without Restraint." Those are just taken from the dictionary definition of "freedom."

And you're right. You'd be much more likely to don the blood red corset and fishnet stockings and wield a leather-bound paddle, I think.

"I believe in human equality and universal fair treatment."

Heh! So do I. I've seen it from time to time. But it's just like that "free lunch" thing. Sure, sometimes you really do get one for free, but it's pretty darn rare.

Response from Marie:

Hi Cobby!

First off, I'm a Robert A. Heinlein fan. "TANSTAAFL" is mentioned in nearly all his books, and hopefully I've learned more than that cats that walk through walls say "Blert" and that the most enjoyable perks of human liberation is promiscuous sex and spray-on "clothing".

Of course, equality can never be entirely equal in any pluralist society. I don't think that sociopaths with sadistic inclinations should have the freedom to go around, say, putting babies on spikes. (Just an example. I'm sure Eddie Izzard wasn't serious about doing that and I'm not calling him a sadistic sociopath.) I just don't want judgments to be made on superficial traits and behaviors that don't harm other people; e.g. skin color, sexual identity, religion, etc. Once a person uses those beliefs to encroach on others' rights, then they should be stopped. I don't know how; while I am a critic of the current American prison system, I'm not an expert that can offer an alternate way of doing things.

Basically, I believe that most people just want to lead good lives without interfering and the interference of others' lives.


Response from Brian:

Hey! I came up with that name... ok fine. If anyone comes up with a better name than we'll use it.


------------------------------------------------------------

Comment/Challenge Submitted By: The Cerebral Cortex Re: Brian's Song - Come To Daddy":

I don't know how hard you like your music, but I'm particularly fond of a wonderful genre of music -- Neue Deutsche Härte, known as "New German Hardness" to those unfortunate enough not to understand German. Or Neute Deutsche Härrrrrrrrrrrrte, if you really like to rrrrrrroll your r's.

Anyway. I hereby nominate your choice of Du Oder Ich, Showdown or Hurra - Wir Leben Noch by the German band Megaherz (off their album Himmelfahrt) as a song of the week analysis thing. Have at it. Unless you're too weak to take it.

Response From Brian:

A challenge? Really?.... OK I'll check it out.


Response From Marie:

Heh heh. "Himmelfahrt." Funny word. I looked it up and it didn't quite mean what I thought it meant.


------------------------------------------------------------


Comment Submitted By Angel Re: TBF: Technology:

I think you are right, as far as we depend on tech stuff to substitute or unwind our lives, I find that I just go home after work, cook, play with kids and go watch TV, it seems that the day speeds up so fast with wasted time on TV, than when you go to the park or movie or dinner, the time goes slower as you enjoy your self more. Plus we rely on cars to much, some people drive a few blocks just to avoid walking, then we wonder why so much people have gained a significant amount of weight, we are becoming too lazy and depending on technology too much. I guess we just got to stop and realize that, and come up with better ways to change those things, but then again some people may be too lazy to even want to think. (my thoughts are all fun and games, I do not mean to offend no one, what am I talking about this is the TBF after all)

Response From Brian:

I agree, I'll be the first to admit being guilty of these crimes. I've made an effort to curb those habits and now my time with technology is pretty limited in my home life. Office work aside, I watch a total of five hours of TV a day and I spend two hours on the computer of which applies solely to whatever work I have to finish here.

It is in my personal belief that our generation has retained a generic form of ADD that allows us to wander from one shiny, flashing image to another and in the process we block out most of the outside world and the only thing that can now keep our attention is TV and PS3. There a fair share of blame to go around, Society as a whole pushes in our heads that we can't be a part of the mainstream unless we play the online games that are common with PS3 and XBOX.

So... I can't meet new people and make new friends unless I stay inside and play a video game...

Also to blame are the parents who decided that sticking the kids in front of a screen qualifies as "raising their kids". So instead of connecting to your kid, we connect to Big Bird and Elmo and America's first openly gay couple: Bert and Ernie.. (you know they were)

Hell I learned to count from the Count: "Von, Too, Three..AH AH AH!!

Thank God that had no long term effect on me.. HA HA HA... 69!!

As for your comment about cars, I do agree but I'd also like to point out that while making a specific plan when you go out and actually sticking to it rarely happens. Every time I've made plans with friends I'd make a simple plan like catching a movie, or just hanging out, but as the night progresses, you decide to grab a bite to eat, then hit another friend's house, find out about a party across town, etc. etc.

So I agree that walking instead of driving has benefits (Health, pollution, breaking in those new boots) but if you know that you are the type to jump on a whim, then I'd just say grab your car.

Anyway, There's probably a million more but I don't feel like boring you with them. I mean literally I would have to turn each TBF into a book in order to cover everything I had to say.


------------------------------------------------------------

I know we didn't get a huge number of comments this time but that's ok, I know that we're just getting back into the swing of things and we have new columns, it takes time to fully find a groove for all the fans.

I already know that Marie isn't going to be happy about the outcome and I can understand her frustration. What we do here is to provoke thought and I admit that a lack of response from you does gives us the impression that we're not doing our jobs right. But I always remember that I'm not going for the credit of being a "Savior" or "Hero". Hell, if I do my job with TBF, then I should recieve little to no credit and give the impression that I had nothing to do with it at all.

Hey, I'm too neurotic to be a hero. (My new shrink just identified me as neurotic yesterday, in fact!) I'm just happy that a couple people out there are reading this. I like to write and Brian likes to blab (he was voted "Most Talkative" senior year of high school), so we're mainly doing this for ourselves. If other people read it, get a laugh or some ideas from what we say, it's awesome. Plus, we love kicking up shit and hope that people will think and there thoughts and actions will cause a bigger ripple in society to change it for the better. I know that if I help open someone's mind to a new idea that people aren't all that different or lead them to realize that something about the system is going bad, then I'll be happy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home