October 07, 2007

Intro to 'Mariedom'

Okay, so first off, I didn’t come up with that column title “Marie-dom.” I guess it’s supposed to be a pun of “freedom,” but I don’t think it works that well; it gives me a mental picture of myself dressed in black leather and wielding a cat o’ nine. (And while that image may excite some people, I am totally not like that.) But because I have a long history of being bad at naming things (my favorite childhood stuffed bear was named “Bear”) the title’s gonna have to stick until the unlikely event that I come up with something better or get an awesome suggestion from some of you folks.

I was planning on kicking this column off by simply jumping in on some specific topic. Then I thought that maybe you would all like to know where I’m coming from. Then I figured that if you guys really wanted to know you could check out the links to my MySpace page and my blog Insert Catchy Title Here. (See? I suck at naming things!) Then the Boss said that everybody with new columns was just going to introduce themselves this week.

Well, I’m not new. I’ve been posting Brian’s writings on TBF blog for a long time now, as well as doing the Editor’s/Archiver’s Notes, and making those little maroon comments that usually poke fun at Brian. If you’ve been on the mailing lists for the last couple years, I was the person that wrote in those really long responses for Echoes. Yes. I am that Marie.

And now you’re thinking, “Damn! I ain’t planning on reading to a whole page of shit every other week!” Which I totally understand, because I’ve been through college (doing the minimum amount of reading that I could get away with) and I myself sometimes end up just scanning through some of what Brian writes.

Let me reassure you: I don’t think I’ll be posting three pages every single time. I’m rarely long-winded on my usual blog. And when my essays do run long, I promise I’ll do my best to make frequent jokes and be funny.

So. About me.... I'm currently 23. I'll be finished with my sociology B.A. in November. I like science fiction, action movies, and video games. For the past few months I've been dragging my heels and reluctantly searching for a job. My boyfriend Curtis and I have been together for over four years. I'm an agnostic. I believe in human equality and universal fair treatment. I prefer cool colors over warm ones and cool weather over hot temperatures. I don't do drugs, and drink very rarely. I like animals and kids. I hate to cook, but I like to write.

…And that's all anybody needs to know right now. Or at least all I'm willing to tell people tonight. I'm rather tired. If you ever want to read more written by or about me, you have only to click either of the links above.

~Marie

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Chorus of voices): "Hi Marie!"

First off, you're right. "Marie-dom" is a terrible name. Why not call it something like "Unhindered" instead? Or even "Action Without Restraint." Those are just taken from the dictionary definition of "freedom."

And you're right. You'd be much more likely to don the blood red corset and fishnet stockings and wield a leather-bound paddle, I think.

I believe in human equality and universal fair treatment.

Heh! So do I. I've seen it from time to time. But it's just like that "free lunch" thing. Sure, sometimes you really do get one for free, but it's pretty darn rare.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home