February 23, 2006

TBF: Racism and Prejudice

We're In This Together (The Fragile)

I've become impossible.
holding on to when, when everything seemed to matter more.
the two of us all used, all used and beaten up.
watching fate as it flows, down the path we have chosen.

you and me,
we're in this together now.
none of them can stop us now,
we will make it through somehow.

you and me,
if the world should break in two
until the very end of me,
until the very end of you.

awake to the sound, as they peel apart the skin.
they pick and they pull, trying to get their fingers in.

well they've got to kill what we found,
well they've got to hate what they fear.
well they've got to make it go away,
well they've got to make it disappear.

the farther i fall i'm beside you,
as lost as i get i will find you.
the deeper the wound i'm inside you,
for ever and ever i am a part of.

you and me,
we're in this together now.
none of them can stop us now,
we will make it through somehow.

you and me,
if the world should break in two.
until the very end of me,
until the very end of you.

all that we were is gone we have to hold
all that we were is gone we have to hold
when all our hope is gone we have to hold
all that we were is gone but we can hold on

you and me,
we're in this together now.
none of them can stop us now,
we will make it through somehow.

you and me,
even after everything.
you're the queen and i'm the king,
nothing else means anything


It is the root of violence, Lives destroyed by ignorance, Fear is harrnessed by misinformation and reflected upon the innocent. People suffer both emotionally and physically for these reasons beyond their control. In our society this is truly our darkest sin....

So today we'll attempt to understand what creates this horrible disease and learn how to avoid passing it on to the next generation.

Here on The Brian Factor we tackle a power that must be stopped: Racism and Prejudice

The Story:


No matter who we are- black, white, mexican, gay, straight, rich, poor- we are all different, we are our own people and we live completely different lives and that is the world we live in....

Unfortunately, there are some who feel that a person's race, religion, and sexual orientation are not appropiate and feel some obligation to openly disapprove of someone lifestyle by open protests, slander, and even desecration and, unfortunately, violence against someone. Groups like the KKK and the Nazis feel the planet should be purged of the "inferior" races cause we're destroying our planet and are the source of crime, pollution and simply put we're everything that's wrong with society.

The Reasoning:


Ignorance is dangerous in the hands of men, it's created by confusion and fear which in turn causes them to destroy what they can't understand or what they fear. There is never a reason for violence against another person simply because they're different. So what breeds the ignorance? Mystery, misinformation, fear; many who refuse to open their world to new people, new places. When you embrace your ignorance you choose to reject the world and you see it a war between good and evil. In reality it is a war, but it's not good versus evil, it's really the war of the ignorant versus the innocent.

Men, women, children aren't seen, all that is seen is that they are different. Women are judged as being unable to do things as a man so they are treated as subserviant or lesser beings. Homosexuals are beaten and denied the rights to live normal lives and marry. The lists go on and on. Children are still taught this, they are taught to hate and they learn that a person's race determines their overall value in society. But now children are becoming more outspoken, and in this era where actions are being used instead of words, many will suffer for this.

My Two Cents:


Before I give my two cents allow me to share two brief stories. When I was eleven I was walking home from school, on my way across the street this guy looked at me and started swearing at me because I was Mexican. He called me a wetback peice of shit and said that our only purpose in life was manual labor, and I ran home crying because all I knew was this guy was yelling shit at a kid who didn't do anything but walk home. That was my first ever experience with racism.

Three years later I was at the mall with my mom, after walking all day I decieded to sit in one of the empty dressing rooms, after I sat down the door closed, shortly afterwards there was a loud banging on the door, apparently the empty room was actually in use, the lady had gone to check herself in the mirror, I opened the door immediately and apologized for the accident but she wouldn't let me go. She called for security and asked me to empty my pockets. She had left her purse inside the room buried under a pile of clothes. I didn't know and kept saying I never knew there was a purse and it was all a huge misunderstanding. She said that I was lying and that all my kind lied and triple checked the contents of her purse and afterwards upon realizing it was a mistake all she said was: "You got lucky this time" and walked away.

I know what it's like to be judged by the color of my skin. I've been insulted and accused of being a lying thief, and, apparently, I'm also a wetback peice of shit. This is what words can do, I know what those words feel like. It demeans you, it makes you feel worthless, like everything they're saying is the truth. Others haven't been as fortunate, as I mentioned earlier; we are now in a time where people will use actions instead of words, where the worst was calling someone a "nigger" or "wetback" gets replaced with punches and kicks and eventually serious injury and/or death. We must learn to get pass the names and violence.

We are people, we are individuals, we are all made to be unique from one another, we come from all walks of life. As I look outside I see different people, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, rich, poor, blondes, brunettes, redheads and I see they are nothing alike and I like that fact; I like seeing different people, I like seeing diversity, I like learning of people's backgrounds and who they are and where they're from and what they believe in and it brings ache to my heart when I see those who can't see the beauty in that, who only want their one race, one nation, supreme race bullshit. We are one nation, and, yes, we are not perfect, and we have little to nothing in common but we're all Americans and we are one people.

So to all those who feel that I'm some wetback piece of trash: FUCK YOU!! I'm just as American as you, and if you can't see that then take your head out of your ass, stop chasing either your pig or your sister to fuck and open your eyes you ignorant, closed minded assholes!!!

Teach the next generation that to hate is to spit on everything this nation was formed on; teach them to love one another and that no one deserves to be judged for being different. Teach them that racism is a poison that destroys lives and as we enter a new millennium let's not be at each others throats. We can do more united then apart....

So I'm done for this week. As always don't be shy on your two cents, and remember: STAY TRUE, STAY YOU.

I'm Brian and I'm out of here.

Peace

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home