February 03, 2006

Echoes: Gay Marriage

Responses Posted on Febuary 2, 2006:

Comment submitted by Tessa:

Wow!!! Brian you are so beyond your 21 years of age. You are so brave to be able to come out and say how you feel. Someday you will make a woman the happiest woman on earth. If you continue to allow yourself to be so open all it is going to take is for someone as open as you are the biggest key to walk beside you in your journey. I wish I could be as open as you. I have had to deal with a lot of stuff in my life and I am not very good at handling stress. I am too emotional and get my feelings hurt very easily. DON'T EVER CHANGE!!!!


Reply from Brian:

I honestly feel like I'm 40 but all jokes aside it isn't easy opening up and putting yourself out there for the world to read, but I do it, and usually I'm scared. I'm scared that I'm revealing too much or not enough, I'm scared that by telling people my demons that I'll lose them as friends or that they just could never look at me the same............ It's those fears and insecurities that prevent me from doing many "normal" things, but I realize that actually talking about it and sharing it with everyone alleviates those fears and the insecurities.......

As for dealing with the stress and emotions it's not impossible to deal with them, try redirecting them by taking up a hobby or like me try your hand into writing, listening or playing music, and working out....... or if all else fails...... masterbate........

Question submitted by Jaime:

You said that you've recently had the urge to write again, will you be sharing your latest creations here or on the Brian factor ????


Reply from Brian:

Perhaps..... just not right away, any recent urge to write is mainly for A.B.T. (see last echos for more info on A.B.T.) so it wouldn't sound right unless I had the music to support it's emotional foundation. but I never say never..... so again............. perhaps.

Comment submitted by Free Dominguez:

we have the power of the peaceful warrior through our thoughts and words. :) have an awesome rest of your weekend!

free


Reply from Brian:

Too true. Now it's my turn to say thank you for your kind words and support. It's really an honor to me knowing you take the time to read your fan mail. You are a true soul and I wish you all the best....... Plus I hear your album kicks ass. I'll have to check it out.

Comment from Marie:

I guess there are two main arguments against homosexuality: it's "unnatural", and it is verboten by God.

Well, for the first one, same-sex pairings have been found in numerous animal speies. And since animals don't have the capabilities of reason and morality, they are simply following their natural instincts. Instincts which could be said to have been given by God. So, it seems like a pretty natural phenomenon to me.

The second argument has the premise that the anti-homosexual statements written in the Bible are the true words of God. My first rebuttal: the Bible was obviously written by humans, divinely inspired or not, and humans are (by definition) imperfect beings. Second: the scriptures have been translated and retranslated over centuries. How can a logical person believe that what the Bible says and means is exactly the same as what it originally said and meant, when the phrase "Polly saw a polliwog" morphs into "Bob likes linguini and balloons" in a game of Telephone?

Thirdly, if God is an all-powerful being, then why does he allow people to be homosexual? Does he just hand out this "affliction" like Lupis, Autism, and big noses? For that matter, why does God aloow child molesters to be born and admitted into the clergy? Or allow sociopathic idiots to attain positions of power? Seems to me that genetic, emotional, and personality disorders are too various and random to be doled out by the Hand of God.

I, personally, don't buy the whole religious argument against homosexuality. And, unfortunately, the debate over same-sex marriage cannot remain secular because of the Christian fundies running the government.

Look, government guys, I understand that because of the benefits that legal marriage provides, I understand that there should be some limitations. A guy shouldn't be able to marry a sheep for the purpose of insurance or inheritance. (Not that that makes any sense, unless the sheep is financially independent, but whatever.) (And what the hell is up with Mormon polygamy? How do their benefits work?) But I can't understand why two people, regardless of gender, shouldn't be able to make a legal commitment for their mutual benefit. Especially if they are monogamous and committed.

If you want to focus on the problems of secular marriage, why not focus your efforts on the phenomenon of serial monogamy? From what I've learned, it seems like kids whose parents have divorced and remarried numerous times are a lot more screwed up than kids who have been raised in a stable two-parent household, regardless of hetero- or homosexual parents.


Response from Brian:

I agree with you, there's too much gray area and people with power will often will interpet what they want and impose their beliefs on others. That's why we try to change the world.

And now it's time for....
Brian's Top Ten !!!!!!!

As always in no particular order:

1. "Metro"- System Of A Down: I love System, and this cover of Berlin's classic hit really is just awesome.

2. "Darkness"- Peter Gabriel: on a whim I decided to check out the "Up" album and I was blown away by the first track. It's so dark, but pure, and it reaches points where I'm just caught up in the song and I'm stuck there from beginning to end....

3. "Red Tape"- Agent Provocateur: early 90's industrial, truly inspirational, it's one of those songs where you're surprised that they weren't bigger than what they were.

4. "Home"- Nine Inch Nails: I found this track on the Japanese import of "With Teeth" which is a haunting, melodic revisit to the "Still" album. It brings back both good and bad memories.

5. "I Grieve"- Peter Gabriel: Four tracks later I found this incredible song on the same album. Just hearing it is an uncanny description of what we deal with when we're saying goodbye to a loved one who's passed and the winding road we face as we move from grief to understanding it all to remembering how important the value of life really is. I hit the replay button at least four times and was still so emotionally moved.

6. "The Undertaker" (Renholder Mix)- Puscifer: Truly dark and reminds me of what I was feeling when I broke up with my girlfriend. Well, mainly the lyric: "Thank you for making me feel like I am guilty, making it easy to murder your sweet memory." What?? Back then I was a little hostile towards her for a month.... It's since past.

7. "The Old Man Down The Road"- John Fogerty: Can't I branch out from industrial to a little Southern rock once in a while? Yes I can. Hey, in my family growing up I was listening to CCR, Skynard, getting my hillbilly on; it brings back childhood memories: sitting on the porch listening to rock with my uncles as they were chilling with their mullets, drinking some beers, grilling beer-soaked steaks, beer-soaked chicken (both with a hint of lime) and back then there was only one way to prepare it... burnt. Ah memories.

8. "The Devil Went Down To Georgia"- Charlie Daniels: What????? I got back into my Southern roots this week, couldn't help it.... Truly a classic song.

9. " La Grange"- ZZ Top: Need I say why??? After hearing this I was in the mood to drink a six pack and kick someone's ass.

10." Free Bird"- Lynard Skynard: I'm not even going to start on why this is even on my top ten. It just is... too classic; too true to the roots of rock, so it's here and don't be surprised if it returns to the top ten again soon!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home