June 08, 2007

Echoes: Future Generations

Responses Posted on 06/08/07

Comment Submitted by Nabeshin luvr:

"THIS WORLD IS CORRUPT!!!!"
LOL
I luv Excel Saga
"Hail Il Palazzo!!!"


Response from Brian:

I wondered if any had gotten that when I wrote it.

What can I say? The Atmosphere of Fanime was infectious....

_____________________________________________________________________


Comment Submitted by Curtis:

The best definition of a Freudian Slip that I've come across is this: it's when you say one thing but mean your mother.

Also, I think I need to take exception to your assertion that the age difference between parents and kids is smaller than in the past. From what I've seen, the general trend through history is for people to wait longer to get married and have kids, a shift
that's associated with increasing longevity (if you're expecting to live beyond 30, you can have kids when you're 25 and still plan on being able to raise them).

Okay. I think your general point is valid. If you're going to have kids, you need to set yourself to it fully. No twiddling your thumbs and just hoping that they'll turn out okay. And there's a big issue these days with parents who essentially farm out their parenting to schools and daycare and then wonder why their kids don't understand, respect, or even pay attention to them.

I was raised in a very untraditional home. We homeschooled all the way through high school, I never spent any time in daycare, and I don't think I was EVER hit by my parents. My mother is a very assertive woman, and she took a hands-on approach to raising me and my siblings, but she let us pursue our own interests rather than imposing her will on us. Considering that I turned out to be about as well-adjusted as it is possible to be these days, I have to say that it worked. A big part of why it worked was the fact that we had that family structure- we weren't ever really at odds because we were part of that same social entity, we didn't have school to teach us bad behaviors.

As for my Dad, he's always been something of a kid himself, and at this point our relationship is much more like a friendship, and it works out fine. I see people sometimes who just don't relate to their parents at all, and it just makes me sad. Being a
parent has to include the knowledge that someday your kids are going to be adults themselves, and their mistakes and successes will be their own, and you're not going to be in charge of them anymore. At some point you're going to be more or less equals, and raising them in such a way that they'll want to have an amiable relationship with you when they're grown is
something to aim for.

I guess, in the long run, what I'm trying to say is that you need to have a hand in your child's development, and yes, you need to be in charge, but you should never forget that your kids are people too. If you're reasonable in your parenting, they'll get it. You want them to respect you? Then you need to be fair, you need to be nonarbitrary, and you need to be there for them when they need you. Remember, some day they'll be choosing your nursing home.


Response From Brian:

True.. I mean I'll be honest, there's a lot that I never got a chance to cover, a lot of it with surrounding some of the current problems with today's youth, I've noticed that many kids are somehow believing themselves to be more than what they are, I
know it something we've all felt at one time or another, but I see kids acting like they've come up with a hard life when they really just grew up in the 'burbs, or an even worse example: an undeserved sense of entitlement.

I think we can blame pretty much everything left and right: TV, magazines, Hollywood and above all else let's place the blame where it belongs on the parents. Also let's face the unpleasant truth that kids grow up thinking that there was no world before the invention of MTV or instead of being brought up on hard work and sacrifice and are instead being brought up on three things:

Scarface, The Chronic Album, and Playstation.

These are not something you use as the basis of your life.. this is entertainment... and if you don't understand what that means then I'll give you the Brian definition: Something to distract you for specific period in your life

And this is what is shaping America and why?? Because you as a parent couldn't sit your kid down and really teach 'em because what? you were afraid of failure? or you were just too goddamn lazy!! cause God only knows that when your daughter's 16 and tells you she's pregnant it's someone else's fault cause you did the best you could! you made sure to get her a GOOD BABYSITTER TO BE HER ALL DAY WHILE YOU HAD OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO AND ALSO MADE SURE SHE HAD A FUCKIN' GOOD PRESCHOOL TO GO EVERYDAY INSTEAD OF SPENDING THE DAY WITH MOM AND DAD AND OF COURSE GAVE HER EVERYTHING SHE'S EVER FUCKIN WANTED SO SHE COULD NEVER BE DISAPPOINTED AND SEE HOW HARSH THE WORLD CAN BE WHEN YOU CAN'T HAVE AN ICE CREAM, SO HOW COULD YOU BE A BAD FUCKIN PARENT!!! HUH? TELL ME...

Yes you do have to acknowledge that a child is a person but do remember that they are inexperienced people, they won't know what's right or wrong until they fail. So love your children, BE THERE FOR YOUR CHILDREN and remember that placing your kid in the care of someone else or in front of the TV all day doesn't make you a parent... it makes you FUCKIN' PATHETIC.
_____________________________________________________________________


[Note from Brian 06/08/07: I should apologize about what I wrote here, at the time I worte this reply I had just recieved the news of my Uncle's health beforehand and as you could see I took it out here on my work, and I will admit that what I said was probably the most truthful thing I could say but obviously the tone was a little overboard, so for that I do apologize and I am glad to report that my Uncle's surgery was a success and he should make a full recovery, so thank you to all well wishers and I want to say to my friends:

I just want to say that I'm sorry for not being around the last few days, I just wanted some time alone to think, but I'm ok now, and enjoying the very long deserved end to a VERY LONG WEEK....]


So next week on The Brian Factor... oh wait that's right.. next week's the 11th, and if I recall that's the deadline for all participants to submit their entries for TBF: Feminism

So next week it won't be The Brian Factor it'll be.. who knows?

Remember you have until Monday, Email all submissions to: thebrianfactormailbox@yahoo.com

YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE????

WE HAVE COME TO TERMS....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home