March 21, 2007

Harlean's Song: Loveless Motel

Last weekend I got pretty crazy with St. Patrick's Day and now I have to deal with the aftermath (and my apologies to whomever's Lawn Gnome I stole so I could use the carpool lane on the freeway so I could go get pancakes at 4am...) anyway, while I worked on my community service it looked like I wouldn't be able to pick a song for this week, but then a good friend with a voice equally strong as mine wanted to sumbit a song. So once again this week I'm passing off the reins off to super-writer and good friend Harlean "H.C." Carpenter, So here she is...

H.C.:

"Nothing annoys me more than truly talented artists who become known for one single commercially viable tune while the rest of their music remains virtually unheard. Ask anyone if they've heard of Jill Sobule, and if you don't get a completely blank look, you'll most likely get something along the lines of "oh yeah, she did that song I Kissed A Girl" or "she did that video with Fabio in it, didn't she?"

This annoys me. Because Jill Sobule is far more than "I Kissed A Girl". She can make you laugh, she can make you cry, she can make think, and she can make you really wonder just how the hell creative minds come up with some of the stuff they come up with, and she does it all in her own quirky, touching, truly inimitable style."

I submit to you now "Loveless Motel" by Jill Sobule as this week's ... Harlean's Song


"Loveless Motel"

It used to be a motel
but now they serve biscuits and t-shirts
I bring my own tea bag
I don't trust the coffee
but the biscuits are delicious
they come eight to a plate
with a big block of butter
and homemade peach preserves

and I wish you were here, my arrogant lover
I'd make you eat grits and the red-eyed gravy
I'd make you sit down with the southern ladies
with the blue pantsuits
I'd talk about Jesus
talk about the weather
watch you squirm as I told them
we were married with two girls
I'd say you were in trucking
and I was a teacher
at a Christian school where the kids are good
and they don't do drugs and they save themselves
before they're married
I wouldn't tell them that you had a wife
that it wasn't me and we just had sex
and they wouldn't be impressed
if I told them you knew Lou Reed

and the stars up on the wall
look down at me like gods
there's Ernest Borgnine and Billy Ray Cyrus
and my favorite, Minnie Pearl

so I go for the coffee
it's not bad, just a little weak
and I ask the waitress for another plate of famous
biscuits
she said you must have a bottomless pit
I said you don't know the half of it
lately I've been so hungry

and the stars up on the wall
look down at me like gods
Minnie, she just shakes her head
she said "girl get your heart out of the frying pan"

it used to be a motel
now they served biscuits and smoked ham
I'll write you a postcard
from the loveless motel


Like what you read, want to know more? Then click the link and learn about Jill Sobule:
http://www.jillsobule.com/jetpackintro.html

"Loveless Motel" is the off of "Pink Pearl" now available at music stores everywhere.

Got an idea for a future "Brian's Song", then hit us up and let us know, there's nothing more fun and more truer than just sharing some kick ass tunes with the world.

Until Next Time Kiddies,


- Brian and Harlean

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Last weekend I got pretty crazy with St. Patrick's Day and now I have to deal with the aftermath (and my apologies to whomever's Lawn Gnome I stole so I could use the carpool lane on the freeway so I could go get pancakes at 4am...)" BULLSHIT!!!!!

What the hell really happend to on St. Patrick's Day???

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home