February 02, 2007

Echoes: Beauty in society

Echoes of the Factor - 02/02/07

Responses Posted on: 02/02/07

Question/ Comment Submitted by Harlean Carpenter:

Brian, first and foremost I would like to say that to me, you're beautiful from the inside out, I love you for that and I always will. but now on the flip side of your topic, I would like to offer a comment. by a fortunate accident of genetics for which I can take no credit, I am a woman who has over the course of my adult life been called a range of things from cute to
pretty to beautiful, depending on who's doing the calling. you've called me beautiful, and I do appreciate and enjoy that not only for the hearing but for the source of the words, a girl always enjoys hearing such things from an intelligent man of
discerning tastes, don't get me wrong. but if you would be so kind, allow me to present the following short quiz to make my point.

1- when I meet a man for the first time, the thing he notices first about me is usually:

a) my 140 IQ and exceptional writing skills, or
b) my ass

2- when I look inward at the things about myself which I love and cherish the most, the one that ranks higher on the list is:

a) my 140 IQ and exceptional writing skills, or
b) my ass

conventionally "pretty" people are under pressure too, and it's the pressure of constantly having to prove that you're more than just a pretty face. in fact, there are those in the world who will do all they can to thwart your efforts to prove that you are more than that, because they resent the fact that you might BE more than that. no matter what you've got, there will always be someone in the world who doesn't want you to have it. hence my own personal motto, stolen from one of the best pulp fiction novels ever published, Lace by Shirley Conran; "you became an adult when you stopped caring what other people thought of you, and started caring what you thought of them."

or, to put it more Brian-esquely, fuck 'em.


Response from Brian:

You're right, Actually I should apologize for part of my tone from last week. As I was writing the second half of TBF right before post time, my cell went off and reminded me that my ex's birthday is coming up and actually her birthday is of all days Valentine's Day, So if I didn't like V- Day before because I'm single, now I have this whole other thing that has me not
being a fan of that day even more. I've made serious leaps and bounds in progress in moving on from Sarah since last summer. Hell, I hadn't even thought about her since last year and I see this one reminder and everything just came back and I took it out on my column and for that I do apologize.

Wounds heal in time and then they become scars, eventually scars fade too... in time.

As for your quiz I took it and here's what I put down:

1) B, Cause seriously you do got back...

But in truth when I first met you, what wowed me were actually your eyes (and I don't mean the synonym term for your rack, either). I always look into people's eyes because I believe you can tell a person by what's in their eyes and I could tell when I read yours that you weren't just a pretty face, and then you would wow me because you could really express yourself and you really stand up for what you think and feel even when we on opposing views and you honestly continue to impress me without really trying.

So to simplfy: B is what first got my attention but A is what kept me around

2) C: both And hear me out first, you have said that you're proud of both your intelligence and of your body and that you've never had to just be a pretty face.

And honestly now that I have a clear head let me really say something about last Friday:

Why would you want to be average? cause honestly there is no such thing. in fact there is such a thing as average, but they aren't those "conventional" stats I gave you last week. Average is really diversity, it's really anything, so what makes people exceptional? If I had to describe it I'd say it's sincerity, it's knowing when to and when not to take anything at face value, it's about being honest to yourself and others even when you don't like the answer...

Or I guess in one word: A Maverick

I know I use that word alot but just in case you forget what that means:

Maverick: (noun)

1) An unorthodox or independent minded person.
2) A person who refuses to conform to a particular party or group.

I know what I am and I embrace every aspect of it, I'm one, Harlean's one, Marie, my Brothers, We're all mavericks. There's no shame in wanting to be yourself to the fullest, a person should accept you for who you are, what you look like, what you believe, in essence all that you are.

And if they can't do it, well then as Harlean said as she quoted me:

FUCK 'EM!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home