January 26, 2007

TBF: Beauty in Society

Never Gonna Change
By: Saliva

Just as sure as the sky is blue and the ocean too,
I've never lied to you.
And I've never, ever done anything,
That would render me untrue.

But for you I can't say the same,
You have only brought me pain.
There's no use in pointing fingers,
When I'm the one to blame.

And I know that it's over,
And there's nothin' left to say.
And we all pay the prices,
Of the games that we play.
I don't know how to love you,
But I can't walk away.

What do I have to say
What do I have to do
For me to hear you say
I just wanna be with you

What do I have to change
What do I have to prove
You're never gonna change
You're never gonna change

It still blows me away somehow,
When you seem so proud of the damage that you've done.

I'm a puppet in your pageant,
I'm a game you played for fun.

Still now,when I see you frown,
And you see me smile,
And you say I'm still the one.
You know, you are quite the actress,
But I'm just not that dumb.

And I know that it's over,
And there's nothin' left to say.
And we all pay the prices,
Of the games that we play.
I don't know how to love you,
But I can't walk away.

What do I have to say
What do I have to do
For me to hear you say
I just wanna be with you

What do I have to change
What do I have to prove
You¢re never gonna change
You¢re never gonna change

What do I have to say
What do I have to do
You¢re never gonna change...

What do I have to say
What do I have to do
For me to hear you say
I just wanna be with you

What do I have to change
What do I have to prove
You¢re never gonna change
You¢re never gonna change

What do I have to say
What do I have to do
For me to hear you say
You¢re never gonna change...

What do I have to change
What do I have to prove
You¢re never gonna change....


"So tell me what you don't like about yourself?"

In today's society, there is a certain level of beauty that is expected. Actually in all societies both past and present there has always been measuring sticks of sorts of one's beauty. So with the reason made, who and why are people choosing to follow these expectations? I'd like to think that a lot of things play a part:

Self esteem (or lack of)
Other people's expectations
A person's desire to fit in (Peer pressure)
I'm pretty sure that's there's more but but
unfortunately they escape me at the moment...

Tonight we're going into a somewhat different route, I'll still discuss a topic but instead of going all book smart I really just want to give my two cents on this.

So this week on The Brian Factor, we're talking...
Beauty in Society


This topic has been brewing for some time and every time I've attempted to write this column my anger I had towards the whole concept always reared it's ugly head and I would lose my focus. Growing up I always came across societies ideas of what guys should look like every day. Which finally gave me my focus to finish this column I've been sitting on for almost a year.

If you ever look at a magazine you might notice a trend in their description of the "average guy".

So from every magazine I've ever seen, a average guy should be around 6' 2 about 175, completely chiseled and (oh my personal favorite) have hair only on the top of his head... and occasionally his face.

So let's compare the stats between the "average guy" and myself:


"Average Guy":

HT: 6'2
Lbs: 175
Hair: head and face only


Brian:

HT: 5'10 -5'11
Lbs: 300
Hair: Does anyone remember that song "Werewolves of London"


I think there could be a slight difference here....

So what could a person like myself do to match "Average Guy"? Well I would have to....

Get Lipo, stomach stapling, surgery to remove excess skin, botox to get rid of those laugh lines (or in my case stress lines), laser hair removal, intense fitness regime, a spa day, a quality haircut (w/highlights), a tan, some of the finest "reasonably
priced" gear from Abercrombie & Fitch and finally to top it all off some good ol' lasik

What I actually plan to do: Not a GODDAMN THING!!!

I know that I don't fit in a lot of peoples ideas of a dream date and after revealing my weight, the fat jokes will come in and say that I don't fit in a lot of other places as well....

But honestly I don't care. Beauty is perception, and if you only want the most extravagant things in life, then you can have it all but at the end of the road you can't take it with you. You can date supermodels and surround yourself with the creme of the crop but as you live the beautiful life. though there are a couple of things I want you to at least be aware of...

1) There is no such thing as perfection; we all have standards and no two people are alike. If you spend your days trying to impress everybody with those curves and that come hither stare, then you'll be spending the rest of your life always trying to be someone you're not all because you want the world to like you, 5 to 1 they won't love you, but you will gladly bend over backwards just for them to like you.

2) No matter what happens, do be aware of this...

SKIN SAGS
HAIR THINS
BEAUTY FADES...

But why should we care... we're young... for now.

OK I think my anger was seeping through again so I'll take a moment to collect myself....

I'm not saying that beauty as a whole is meaningless, If anything I respect beauty, I just don't think that it should be the only thing required for a love connection. To me it's about personality and really connecting with people. I think beauty is just that extra something, the cherry on top if I had to describe it.

Maybe I'm asking for alot and then again maybe I'm not. This is a topic where the lines of who's right and wrong are blurred again. It's all perception, it's about saying to yourself "what is it you really want??" In my defense to my stats from earlier, I still back up what I said about me not being "Average" but I've lived both the average life and the hectic one. The average life showed me what it is people dream for and the hectic showed me the journey that we go through to get that dream.

So without question I'm not "Average" but honestly...FUCK AVERAGE!!!

I'm real, I'm raw, and I have nothing to lose...

I am a Maverick.. From Beginning to the End.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home