November 17, 2006

Echoes: Ageism

All Responses Posted On 11/16/06

Question From Daniel:

How come you've never shown any pics of yourself? Are you like totally disfigured or have you just been really lazy to take some pics or is it something else entirely?

Response From Brian:

There are many reasons to why I'm faceless:

1. I'm no supermodel, and in the world of the superficial, I'd stick out like a sore thumb.

2. I read two very useful books:

"How To Be A Writer And Still Keep Your Identity A Complete Mystery" By Thomas Pynchon

And

"How To Be Controversial And Still Be Alive To Tell About It" By Salman Rushdie

3. I just don't take great pics, everytime the flash goes off, my eye twitches all weird or my head turns and hell last time I chose to grow out my beard and hair and walk around without a shirt on, the Bigfoot footage started showing up on TV again.

4. I also believe that I don't think I need to show my face, I've often believed that when you create something, you aim to create something that will resonate through time both in your lifetime and beyond, You listen to pieces from Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky. Everyone knows their works but few recall what they even looked like. Now I'm not claiming to be on their level of fame, I AM NOT THAT FULL OF MYSELF TO BELIEVE THAT I AM THE GREATEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THE WORLD SINCE JESUS, WHO DO YOU THINK I AM, KANYE WEST?

Even though I'm also not looking for a gold digger... but that's just common logic.

5. Yeah I'm pretty lazy about certain things, Shit... I was supposed to be involved in the NANO writing competition THREE YEARS AGO!!!! I'm still getting reminded about it to this day...And I do plan to enter, it's on my things to do list, behind running with the bulls and reading "War And Peace".

(By the way the NANO writing competition is not affiliated with Apple even thought you were thinking it.)


Question From Viktor:

I loved having Pink Floyd open up this week's column, Where did you come up with the idea of using songs to open your column?

Responses From Brian:

Well, I listen to music everyday for around 8-12 hours a day, I listen to various types of music: Rock, Metal, Electronica, Israeli Goa Trance, even Classical (both rock and orchestra music) if the mood hits. An ongoing theme in every song I open with is obviously the fact that the lyrics and even the title fits in the theme of the column's subject. Majority of last season's columns were started up with Nine Inch Nails' songs but this year, I wanted to expand with other new artists so this year you'll be reading songs from various artist: Killswitch Engage, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd and others TBD.

Question From Robbie:

What do you really think about age differences in dating?

Response From Brian:

Everyone has a different idea of what's right and wrong. Perception exists but really it's our own perception that hinders us from enjoying life when you should embrace it. Everyone acts like it's a major taboo to date someone who's older or younger than you, when it's not. If you're with someone who makes you happy, then that's all you need to know. If I had to say it in a fancier way then here it is: "Age is a number, and love is beyond a number."

The first woman I ever loved was younger than me (A little over a year in difference), and I was blissfully happy cause with her I had everything I ever wanted (which goes to show you how simple a guy like me can really be in matters of what he wants in life.) Unfortunately it didn't last... But no matter what divided us in the end, all the love and happiness that we did have is permanently etched in my being, I use it to remind me that if you're patient enough you can have your heart's desire, the journey may be long, and the reward may not even last but in that one instant, you have everything you can ever want and you feel absolutely complete...

that's something that no one can ever take away from you....

I've since continued on in my life, I've met many beautiful women that vary in age, all of which have become great friends in my life. In fact the last woman I showed genuine interest in was older than me, we had great conversations and I felt a genuine connection. It never went anywhere because at the time I was still recovering from my previous relationship. The point I'm really trying to say is that when you click with somebody then age becomes what it really is... just a number and like any random number, you toss it aside and just live it up if you both want it bad enough....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home