October 13, 2006

Season Two Premiere

"This Fire Burns" (Killswitch Engage)

All I've ever wanted was destiny to be fulfilled
It is in my hands,
I must not fail
I must not fail!

Even through the darkest days
This fire burns, always
This fire burns, always

This is the proving ground
Misery begins to rise
Turn away from yesterday,
Tomorrow's in my eyes

Nevermore to be held down
By the waves against me
Nevermore to be cast aside
This day is mine...

Even through the darkest days
This fire burns, always
This fire burns, always

I will not be denied, In this final hour
I will not be denied, This day is mine
This passion inside me is burning (Is burning!)
This passion inside me is burning (Is burning!)

Even through the darkest days
This fire burns always (always)
This fire burns (fire burns) always
Always (always)

In time everything is revealed. In time, the one you considered your friend is now your greatest foe; what you hate becomes what you love. That one thing that brought people to you now pushes them away. The list goes on and on, but by now I trust you've figured out the point of what I'm trying to say: In time, things change. In time, we change.

Most of the time the results can either be one of two things: a welcomed fresh start or an unwanted curse. I know I'd like to think that one day I'll learn it all and then I’ll just live happily ever after, but won’t happen. From the day you're born ‘til the day you die you will always learn; there is no choice in it. So all we can do is wake up every morning and make the most of the day.

How to start off another season of The Brian Factor became a question that honestly bugged the fuck out of me for at least a week. I came up with a couple of ideas (and those will be revealed in time) but this time I wanted to push things to a whole new level. Many of you who read this column finish reading it with new ideas and new opinions, and I'll bet you even have ideas for future topics you would like discussed. Well we are approaching the season for giving and miracles, so I invite you tell me your ideas. I want you to help shape this season. I want you to use your mind and your voice and really bring the issues to light. I do this column because in my everyday humdrum I see what I like to call Idiot Moments. An "Idiot Moment" is basically a moment or event where general and sometimes even competent judgment is simply absent and thus results in an accident that, 5-to-1, causes a lot of damage and about 15 billion-to-1 will leave many people both incredibly pissed and amazed at your blunder. You know you've seen those moments; hell, 5-to-1 you've done your share of them. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I see most of them as the ultimate affirmation that we are flesh and bone; that we are human and, as such, are not perfect. Many times we are led to believe we are gods when really we're humans. And don't worry, I checked down my pants. Turns out I'm one... and a male too.

Believe it or not: I don't want to be a leader.

Though nowadays a title like that is both the easiest and the hardest thing to acquire. All you really have to do is simply speak up for yourself and others. By using your voice and listening to your heart you are choosing to challenge what was always was.

So what do I want?

Honestly, I want to inspire people to think for themselves. I want people to wake up and start speaking for themselves. I look around and I often see people who don't stand up for themselves and choose to "respect" those who are the authority. News flash: respect is a mutual agreement between people; if you give respect, you earn respect. My philosophy on respect is simply this: "No one is above me, no one is beneath me. We are all equals in life and truth." So I ask you: How you see yourself? Do you see yourself as my equal? Who are you? What do see as you look in the mirror?

In my time away many events occurred, both in the world we live in and in our own lives. Some of these events led us to choices that took away the things that mattered to us. Others forced us to look at what we've become. For some, we simply became broken, forced to deal with the remnants of what was. Change happens because it has to. It's in life that the tests are given first and the lessons second. What we decide for ourselves is really our choice, and out of everything we learn and deal with the key to it all is right in front of us.... All along that's what it all came down to... choice.

They say that life is a gamble. And, really, it's the greatest ongoing gamble ever....

I said that things were going to be different this time around, and I am and will always be known as a man of my word. I realized that, after everything, I have nothing to lose. I took everything I had built over a period of five years--things that were everything--and I got rid of them. I should've gotten rid of them a while ago, but fear is powerful. The fear of our lives having no real meaning is one that has always haunted me for as long as I can remember. I finally reached that point where I had to rely on nothing but pure blind faith, so I did it. I still have my mind, my soul, my words, and I learned that even if you strip away their physical forms, the essence that was inside still remains and that is what gives this column it’s heart. I had to learn to face my fears and admit that I don't have all the right answers; I only have the answers that were meant for me to find.

One of the most powerful abilities within us is the power of truth. I know that sounds crazy, but follow me for a couple of minutes, then click “delete” or whatever you do after you finish reading this. One of our greatest flaws is our dependency on "Spinning" (no, not those pointless rims that spin that you'll shell out a couple grand to emulate your favorite rapper on Cribs.)

“To spin” means to twist the truth and/or information (often times both) of actual events to create a fabled version of events to present to the masses to inspire anger/joy/comfort or just about any feeling you'd want the masses or parties to feel.

I honestly hate it. Why lie? Be honest. In the grand history of your whole life, did you prefer someone lying to your face or did you prefer the truth? Myself? I want the truth ‘cause all I've ever received from people were just lies and they made me feel less than what I am. It wasn't the lie itself that got me down; it was all the mind fucking that was set up to begin with, and the lie pretty much became the shot to finish me off.

It's often believed that we have to win the grand tests of life in order to win everything we want. It's not true. Sometimes when you lose it all you gain yourself: the courage and ability to realize what matters to us. A feeling and a mindset we learned to forget along the way, but definitely a great prize.

So now I go to walk down the ever-winding road again. Last year around this time I was enjoying great times with good friends.... It's funny how much can change in so little time.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home